Join our Collaborative Network of Sellers
The General Store Cooperative is a NETWORK of LOCAL MAKERS and INDEPENDENT BUSINESSES from South Orange/Maplewood and surrounding areas.
We offer a ONE-STOP LOCAL SHOPPING DESTINATION where local customers can find all of their favorite local businesses and makers in one convenient place (which is how consumers shop in the Age of Amazon). They typically don’t browse individual websites to find what they need.
WE PROMOTE OUR MEMBERS thorough our social media channels and partnerships, and we meet quarterly to share ideas, offer professional development classes, and foster collaborations.
WE’VE PARTNERED WITH OUR LOCAL PTA, and donate .5% of every sale to them. (That .5% comes out of our commission, not yours).
We also have partnerships with Work and Play, a co-working space in South Orange with onsite child care for those who need it, and Fierce Females, a networking group to promote gender equality in the work place.
Is there a fee?
For every item you sell on General Store, there is a small transactional fee of 3.5% and a payment processing fee of 2.9% + $.30. At this time, there is no listing fee or monthly fee.
The transactional fee for GIFT CARDS is only .5% (which goes to the PTA), plus a payment processing fee of 2.9% + $.30.
We offer one FREE NETWORKING or PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT event per quarter, and discounted rates to additional professional development classes.
Who can sell?
Priority is given to sellers in South Orange and Maplewood, N.J.. We will consider non-local sellers who offer goods or experiences of use and interest to our local community.
What can be sold on General Store?
- Locally-Made Goods
- Local Art
- Goods from Local Independent Businesses (even if not made locally)
- Experiences and Services from Local Independent Businesses
- Gift Cards
- Each member gets their own shop page with a banner, logo, and space to enter information about yourself or your business.
- The shop page displays all of the items you have for sale on General Store. Users can add the items to their cart and purchase.
- Each member gets login credentials to access the backend of their shop page, where they can upload products, shop banner, etc.
- From the backend, members can click a button to link their bank accounts to Stripe, our payment processing company.
- Members are paid out automatically by Stripe each time they get a sale.
- Members are responsible for their own order fulfillment, and can set their own delivery policies.